Westchester County offers employees a broad range of online self-study and instructor-led courses. Course updates and new features are posted frequently.
Tuition Reimbursement Program
Qualified County employees can receive reimbursement of tuition costs.
- All county-employed members of CSEA, COBA, SOA, and TEAMSTERS unions, as well as MANAGEMENT and CONFIDENTIAL employees are eligible. Other unions may have tuition reimbursement programs – contact your union directly.
- Courses must be taken at an educational institution accredited or recognized by a state Department of Education.
- Courses must benefit the county organization.
- Applicant must be on the payroll prior to the start, during, and through the completion of the course, and at the time checks for reimbursement are issued.
- Minimum grade requirement for undergraduate or graduate courses: C or better.
- Additional eligibility requirements are stated on application and guidelines (available in the fall.) All applications must be filed by the deadline specified (usually during the first week of January).
- No pre-approval process before enrolling in courses.
- Once-a-year application process for all courses completed in that year.
- Reimbursement rate is a percentage based on total amount approved for all applicants and amount available as determined by CSEA contract.
Tuition-free credit courses at Westchester Community College (defined as courses that give grades). Excludes fees and books. For all County-employed CSEA, COBA, SOA, TEAMSTERS members, and CONFIDENTIAL employees. Tuition waiver form must be obtained from your union office, or from Human Resources for Teamsters and Confidential employees.
County employees eligible for benefits receive a reduction in tuition at several colleges and universities.
- The College of Westchester (formerly Westchester Business Institute) and Long Island University - Purchase College Campus (graduate courses only): One-third off tuition costs (with proof of employment). Immediate family members are eligible for one-third off their first six credits.
- Polytechnic University Westchester Campus - 25 percent discount (graduate programs only)
- Fordham University - 25 percent tuition reduction at Fordham University (undergraduate) through College of Liberal Studies (West Harrison campus); 20 percent reduction at Graduate School of Social Work [West Harrison campus] and at School of Business [West Harrison Campus].
- Mercy College - 15 percent discount (undergraduate courses only). Immediate family members are eligible for 15 percent discount on their first six credits.
- Manhattan College - 25 percent discount for employees and spouses on required courses in the Adult Degree Completion Program (BS - Organizational Management focus)at the Riverdale campus.
- Monroe College - 20 percent discount for employees enrolled in undergrad or graduate programs at New Rochelle or Bronx campuses, or taking courses online.
Manhattanville Castle Scholarship Awards are available for county employees. Tuition reduction of 30 percent for Accelerated Bachelor of Science degree completion programs and 15 percent tuition reduction for graduate programs in the School of Graduate and Professional Studies.
The Edwin G. Michaelian Scholarship is a Westchester County/Pace University Partnership to promote excellence in government.
County and local municipal employees are invited to apply for Edwin G. Michaelian Scholarships. Scholarships are granted by Westchester County government to support the funding of graduate courses at Pace University leading to degrees in Public Administration, Nursing Administration, Computer Science, Business Administration, or Public Safety and Homeland Security.Applications are available beginning in February, and must be submitted by the filing deadline in June.
Pace University, at no cost to our taxpayers, funds 25 percent of tuition costs per semester through the Michaelian Scholarship program. It is the responsibility of the scholar to fund the remaining 75 percent at the time of school registration. This scholarship does not exclude the option of other sources to fund the balance (e.g., tuition reimbursement, educational loans.)
Applicants must meet the following guidelines:
- Be deemed a valued employee of Westchester County or local municipality
- Possess a Bachelor's Degree
- Have at least three years of employment in government service
- Possess career goals consistent with the sponsoring government’s operations